Thursday, February 20, 2014

Blog Assignment # 6

Personal Learning Networks

A personal learning network is a set of people or tools that you call upon for help to collaborate and consult with. You can also ask for other assistance. PLN can help a teacher in many ways. They can help by allowing the teacher to consult with other teachers about lessons. Teachers can relate their
lesson to other lessons and build upon them to best suite the class that they teach.

PLN are created by different tools. You can use Twitter as a starter. You can use Twitter to come up with a list of people that are in your same field and create a network with them as educators.  By reading the C4T blogs we are assigned to, as well as the C4K blogs we are assigned too, we can
become aware of different teachers who may be able to be part of our own PLN.

By listening to a seventh grader's view on a personal learning network, we can see how you can find information online and organize it on one page. This makes it easier, and helps the children stay
organized. All of her information collected on websites is kept on the PLN. This student has her
research and educational sites at the bottom of her network.  The top of her online network consists
of her social media environment. By having a PLN, it enables the student to have her own freedom in everything she does online. This is a great tool for the students to learn how to be organized and
productive. It requires a lot of time management. This is because since everything is in one place, you can get very distracted with Facebook while you should be doing a science experiment. You have to
be dedicated to what you are doing at the time. Other than that, this is a great way to have students be their own boss and keep up with their own work and assignments.

personal learning networkhttp://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=7Sf8LuHV4K0RcM&tbnid=3YM0nQBUYl6KFM:&ved=0CAQQjB0&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftheaudaciouslibrarian.blogspot.com%2F2012%2F03%2Fpersonal-learning-networks-part-i.html&ei=qN0cU8zzNOHx2wXyvYCYAg&psig=AFQjCNFzV717w6EM8Dqhd0dy3PYpRgnV8g&ust=1394487077519473


Stephen Anderson says that a PLN is just a way of extending your network of people to communicate with other educators across the world.  With a PLN, you do not have to feel like you know
everything. The PLN is a way of having someone else to talk to and collaborate with about certain
topics. "It really helps to have a PLN to extend a teacher's learning beyond the four walls of the school," according to Stephen Anderson.

I have never created a personal learning network. I believe it would be very beneficial to have all of my sites to visit in one area, except it could be hard to keep focused on school work if I
have Facebook available right in front of me. I think it is just as easy for me to create bookmarks on Google Chrome.  I have stared using the Google Chrome app on my iPad for EDM310, and it has been very helpful to just have all the websites I need right there. In a list, I would say my PLN
consists of Facebook, Pinterest, Google, and Blogger.  Like I said, I am not into technology as fast as it is approaching our world, but I have began to broaden my horizons. I hope that by the end of this semester I will have created a thorough PLN for myself to add to and continue using.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Savannah,
    It is great to read that you are broadening your horizons as it relates to technology. It pretty much consumes the the world in which we operate and it offers endless educational benefits. PLN's are a wonderful way for teachers to communicate, share experiences and offer advice. Before this semester began, I communicated with teachers and future teachers through personal encounters at the University or schools where I work as a substitute teacher. However, since I began EDM310 I have expanded my network to include Twitter, Blogger, and Google+. This is a resource that will be very helpful to us as teachers and I look forward to sharing ideas and experience with everyone who is willing to do the same with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Savannah!
    I am happy to see how many different tools you came up with to start making your PLN! I noticed that you included Pinterest in your list of helpful PLN websites. I cannot agree more! Pinterest is such a great site that you can connect with others on. It's great for educators because you can share decorations, lesson plans, and so much more!

    ReplyDelete