Thursday, January 16, 2014

Blog Post 1

I have heard that EDM310 is a very involved course. Some students have shared with me that this class is very time consuming. I have also heard that EDM310 requires the student to do ALOT of work. The best advice I have received, from former students, is to stay on top of the work and do not procrastinate. I have heard that if you are not very good at time management, you will not be able to keep up with EDM310.
I do not necessarily have fears about EDM 310, although I am nervous about all the assignments and projects in this course. The first day I came to class I was very overwhelmed because I had no clue what was going on. I felt as though I was extremely confused as the class went on. Today, the class was better, and I am beginning to slowly but surely understand what this class is really about. When Dr. Strange told us we were to create a blog, my first thought was, "What does blogging have to do with teaching elementary school?" I am also a little nervous that I may not be as tech savvy as I thought I was. I have never blogged or even read many blogs before, so this is a whole new experience for me.
EDM 310 is unlike any course I have ever taken in college or high school. I have taken computer classes in college and high school, but we did not do anything related to EDM 310. I would say that EDM 310 is different in that it requires you to create a blog and post many things to the internet that many students are not used to doing. EDM 310 is also very different because it is a class that you mostly teach yourself. In any other class I have taken, the teacher explains the information and students take notes. EDM 310 is not like that. You must keep up with your own work in this course to pass. EDM 310 is similar to a radiology class I took last semester just because they both required many hours a week to understand the material. EDM 310 is sort of like some of my online math classes I have taken too because they require you to stay on top of the material yourself just like EDM 310.
The most difficult thing for me in this course is going to be keeping up with the assignments and making sure I get them in on time. I am not a procrastinator, and I am pretty well with time management. I believe it will be hard just to learn things about blogging on my own because I have never done anything like this before.
The best way for me to address this most difficult aspect is to ask questions when they arise. I believe if I ask questions at the time they come up, I will be able to better understand the concept and not get behind in turning in the assignments.
As of right now, the only question I really have about EDM 310 is, "What is the main objective of this course, and why do we have to learn about blogging to become an elementary teacher?" I could go about addressing the answer to this question by looking at the student blog site and reading other students posts about this course. I could also ask questions to Dr. Strange or the teacher helpers.

3 comments:

  1. "The best way for me to address this most difficult aspect is to ask questions when they arise. " Right. And there are many ways to do that!
    The main objective is to teach you how to be a self-directed lifelong learner who knows how to use technology as an effective tool in project based learning activities and how to be a mentor for students so that they also become effective self-directed learners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,
    I can totally relate to you about the fact that I've never taken a class like EDM 310 before either. I've taken some computer classes in high school & one during college, but I've never taken a class where we're expected to blog, and create so many projects using technology! This course is different, but I like it because I feel like I will actually take away something from this class at the end of the semester since I'm learning things on my own. I actually took EDM 310 last semester, but I didn't get to stick it out for the whole semester due to the fact that I had some stressful things going on in my family. It's a lot to take in at first, and since most classes just expect you to show up & take notes, you kinda have to get used to taking in all of the information & figuring things out for your own. From my experience though, things did get better after the first couple of weeks! I'm definitely going to take some of your advice, and try my best to stay on top of things too. Not letting myself procrastinate definitely helped me out last semester so that's my goal for this semester too! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Savannah, I came across your blog because you were kind enough to visit mine and leave me some feedback.

    I have read all your posts above and have to say that I am surprised that a person of your age has this perception of teaching. Today at my primary school the staff were having a discussion and we all agreed that in the last decade there was a sense of justifying why technology was so prevalent in education, but now , it simply is there. Our learners all have their own device, their own blog, their own Google. Apps account and an online digital learning environment. We would never dream of making them go home and watch a video of a teacher lecturing! We create content that engages, we encourage them to create responses from their learning that recognize multiple intelligences and share these with the world via their blogs. And in class time, our teachers teach. They don't lecture but have learning conversations with their young people in small groups and individually. Our students are all minority, with English as another language. We get wonderful shifts in their test scores.

    Learning be a wonderful world for young people today. I am so envious.

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete